1. Explain the terms 1. HOGGING, 2. SAGGING
2. What is meant by 1. BILGE KEEL, 2. DUCT KEEL.
3. What is the difference between a balanced rudder and unbalanced rudder ?
4. Define the terms mentioned below in a ship construction
1. DISPLACEMENT 2. GROSS TONNAGE.
5. What is the difference between a cargo tramp and a cargo liner.
6. What are the features of a container ship?
7. Why water tight bulk heads are required in a ship construction?
8. Name five different types of off shore drilling platforms.
9. What do you understand by the terms “Dynamic positioning system”?
10. What is the highest class of notation given to a ship?
11. What is Panting? Sketch and describe the panting arrangement at the fore end of a
Vessel? (16 marks)
12.a) Explain the meaning of the following with the aid of sketches:
1) Spur ling pipe, 2) Centre Girder, 3) Coffer dam, 4) Collision bulk head (16 marks)
12.b)i) Define the following: 1) Free board, 2) Tonnage, 3) Net tonnage, 4) Dead weight.
ii) The ship side has a disc and lines marked a midships. Make a sketch and explain the meaning of such markings. (8 marks)
13.a)i) Sketch and describe a cruiser stern. What are advantages and disadvantages?
ii) Describe with the aid of sketches: i) Round of beam, ii) Sheer, iii) Flare, iv) Cut up, v) Rise of Floor. (8 marks)
13.b) Sketch and describe the general longitudinal section of a bulk carrier. (16 marks)
14.a) Enumerate the examinations and tests which should be carried out on the exterior of a ship’s hull when in duty dock. Detail the inspection necessary in the region of
the ship’s hull, which is adjacent to the machinery spaces. Discuss the nature of defects liable to be found in these areas. (16 marks)
14.b)i) Discuss the different types of environmental forces as experienced by a off shore drilling structure? (8 marks)
ii) Briefly describe different type of oil drilling platforms with their advantages and limitations. (8 marks)
15.a) Sketch and describe a transverse section of either an oil tanker or ore carrier having two longitudinal bulk heads. (16 marks)
15.b) Sketch and describe the different floors used in the construction of a double bottom indicating where each type is employed. Give details of attachments of the floors to the adjacent structure. (16 marks)